You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott

Sunday, September 19, 2010

My New Favourite Things

Here's one of the things that makes me a bad Buddhist... I get attached to my "things".  For instance, my new lululemon bag.  I just love it.  No, really, I LOOOOVE it.  The kind of love that warms my heart every time I look at it.  It makes me smile.  See, I am attached and I am a bad Buddhist.

While I was looking at my new bag this morning and smiling, I was also thinking about some of my other favourite things that I've acquired recently.  I do not receive any sort of compensation to promote these things so don't get all douchetruck "you have become a corporate whore"on me.  These are just things I love and in sharing with you, I hope you find them the awesomesauce too.

(Yes, these pics were taken on my bed so don't start criticizing the background, lighting and all that other stuff.  I was too lazy to care and quite frankly, I feel Sunday's were made for pj's and hiding under the duvet)


As I mentioned, I am currently having an affair with my new lululemon Fast In Flight Bag:

(my pic that does not do the bag justice)

(lulu's pic that i totally ripped off but did it with the best of intentions and much love does the bag justice and is very descriptive)

This bag is deep, it expands, it has room for a laptop, it is an amazing work tote for a girl who commutes and carries a purse, makeup bag, lunch kit, book, iPod, keys, transit pass, glasses, and lip gloss.  Never forget the lip gloss!  Lots of pockets, lots of room.  I  gush.  Uhhhhuhh, it is literally that good.  This is my fifth (I know!) lululemon bag and while they can be a bit on the pricey side, they are absolutely worth it; you get quality and design that makes every penny spent worth it.

I'm a girl with super fussy super sensitive combination skin that freaks out at something as simple as a change in the water being used to wash my face with (think about being on holidays or at the lake, city water versus well water).  I have tried cheap drugstore brand moisturizers, I have tried expensive shi-shi-poo-poo moisturizers that require a mortgage and a security guard to get out of the store.  This past summer, Neutrogena Moisture (oil free for sensitive skin in my case) was recommended to me and I fell in love with it:


I didn't break out when I started using it, the coverage is ah-may-zing, and I don't feel like I have been lubed up with canola oil when I put it on. It penetrates (behave) rather quickly and lasts all day. I use it in the morning and at night and can't recommend it enough! As far as moisturizers go, this is available in most drug stores and at some cosmetic counters and very very affordable.

Finding a cleanser has been equally difficult for me.  I was using a Garnier product (Nutritioniste Nutri-Pure Daily Exfoliating Gel Cleanser) that has either been discontinued or ostracized to the dark recesses of a far flung warehouse somewhere beyond my reach.  I do miss it.  But in its absence, I have been using Palmer's Skin Success Eventone Facial Milk foaming cleanser:


I'm not sure about the availability of this product, but if you are in Edmonton, Images & Shades (haaaay Sarah, you sexay chick) stocks this cleanser.  It is heaven in a bottle and it is retails for less than $10.00.  It gently cleans all the dirt off your face without stripping it off and making you feel like you have had a chemical peel.  Also, if you are like me and have naturally blotchy skin, or if you are a mixed chick, this cleanser evens out your skin tone without leaving you looking ashy.

How does one know they are being flung into the grips of domestication?  Two words: Tupperware party.  I went to one in the summer and found a water bottle that has currently ended/satisfied my quest for the perfect water bottle:


I will be honest, I only bought this bottle (and its purple sister) because it was on sale (two bottles were less than twenty bucks). Bad news about Tupperware is that its still insanely high priced. Good news is Tupperware has competition and you can find comparable items that don't require a sister to cough up an ovary for payment.

The drinking spout is a decent size:


And the bottom comes off and provides storage for a couple of keys or a handful of trail mix if you are out walking, condoms if you are on a road trip... whatever suits your needs and is only about 3/4 of an inch in height:


I love to read.  I love His Holiness the Dalai Lama.  His Holiness' wisdom is profound and while this book  is based in Buddhism, it contains some basic stories, lessons, advice, and adages for everyone.  Reading this book changed my life in some profound ways.


Candles.  They are my other weakness.  Purses/bags/wallets are my other one.  More often than not, candles require candle holders.  I have been on a search for a candle holder that isn't monster sized but that will keep the heat off the bottom of the holder so as to not warp the top of my ridiculously over priced cos its real wood dresser.  I was in Pier 1 last week and found this:



I'll admit, Pier 1 is a store that surprised me.  For years, I avoided the place because it looks expensive.  Admittedly, some of their merchandise is out of my league but I have been lucky enough to find items within budget (hey, I'm not cheap, I'm frugal and always looking for a deal).  This candle holder was less than $15.00 but the cutest ladybug measuring spoons ever won't ever be coming home with me.  All that being said, when they have a sale they HAVE A SALE.

Not all highlighters are made equal.  Zebra has outdone themselves:


Now, I'm an office supply snob.  Don't blame me.  Blame my employer.  I have administrated/controlled/judicated the corporate tender for almost six years now and I order for the corporate office as well as the local branch.  Many highlighters have come and gone.  Some visit as samples, some stay and get used daily.  But Zebra, you got it right with these babies!

I have found the perfect tweezers for eyebrows.  Titania's needle nose tweezers are here and they are divine:


Look at the tips on these babies:


If you are a gorilla like me, brow tweezing just got a whole lot easier.  These lovelies are under $10.00 and available at Images & Shades here in Edmonton.

I like eclectic things, strange and weird things, like me.  Someone gave me this funky blue giraffe bangle which I heart...


... but the best thing I've found, aside from my new lululemon bag is this ring by Christophe Poly of Crono Design:


Christophe Poly uses things like recycled aluminum to create unique architectural pieces in his studio in Montreal.  If you are in Edmonton, get thee to Lyndale Accents and behold the beauty not only of Poly's work but all the lovely and unique home accents, jewelry, and gifty type things.  Its worth the trip, I promise.