You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Re-gifting Or How I Got Dust And Dog Hair For Christmas

It has taken me a while to address this issue because I have been doing research.  Apparently re-gifting is gaining in not only popularity but is becoming socially acceptable.

How the... ?

Am I the only one who thinks re-gifting is, well, cheap and shameful?  When did this sort of thing become acceptable?  When did it become something to be proud of?  When did you start thinking I want your garbage?  Somebody tell me this is recycling gone horribly wrong.

At least four of the gifts I received this past Christmas were re-gifted.  By the same person.  She was actually proud of what she had done.

P. R. O. U. D.

Here is the thing... I grew up dirt poor and came from the wrong side of the wrong side of the tracks.  Just down the road from the trailer park.  Literally.  I appreciate the value of a dollar, I understand that the barter system is alive and well, and that if you do not need something, you should pass it on to someone who can use it.

This is not to be understood as me giving you permission to give me your used and unwanted crap.

My research has revealed to me that some people re-gift at Christmas so they can reduce the expense of this over commercialized holiday.  I guess I can get behind that if the item is new, not originally from me, and something I could actually use or want.  However, I really do not want to be in the same room when you gleefully say, "I re-gifted it because who wants a gift basket full of nuts and crackers?"  I am still wondering what makes you think I want dirty, dusty, pop and dog hair encrusted fridge magnets.  Honestly, I would rather have nothing than your garbage in a gift box.  Wrapping your used and unwanted rubbish does not make it a gift.  It makes it an insult.

If you really want me to have something that you have already gently used, just give the thing to me.  Do not save it and make it a gift. Please do not continue to wrap your garbage and then pretend it is exactly what I wanted.

As a result of my research, here are some rules for you kids who insist on regifting:
-make sure the person receiving the gift does not know the person you originally got the gift from
-do not regift to the original gift giver
-regift brand new items only
-do not regift hand made/hand crafted or personalized gifts
-do not regift the item in the same wrapping paper/gift bag/gift box that you received the gift in
-do not tell the recipient that it is a regift
-make sure the recipient will like the gift