You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pollo Chilindron Or The Thing About Having Webbed Feet

The weather has been rainy and meh lately.


My back yard now has water feature cleverly disguised as a rain collection barrel.


Should you feel the need for a rice paddy, the entrance to my deck is currently accepting applications.  The side walk and lawn were conveniently located between the deck and back door.  Now currently submerged, they are looking to diversify and monetize.


It has been so rainy and meh that I'm thinking about having a grey officially removed from the colour palate but Mother Nature has me on ignore and I don't know who to complain to.  My feet are webbing and its making footwear choices increasingly difficult.  This morning I suggested to co-workers that we get all Noah about this shit and start building an ark.  That became the joke of the day at the office.  And while I don't necessarily believe in You Know Who That Allegedly Reigns The Heavens And Has A Personal Valet Named St. Peter anymore, that confederacy of simpletons I work with should give my brilliant idea some thought.

Just in case You Know Who is trying to send us a message.

I need sun.  I miss that fiery ball in the sky.

I need heat.

And not the kind of heat that douchetard men give off.  You know, those ones you had a brief "thing" with (not a hook-up, not a fling, more of a connection of sorts... super intense but without the chicka chicka bow wow), who completely forgot you but then suddenly remember you (you see the light bulb go off over their head, even if it is only 25 watts) and decide you should be flattered by their invitation to sleep in the second bed in their two bed hotel room.  Ya, not that heat.  And what the hell happened to the coffee date?  Did it go extinct and only my spam filter got the email?  I mean, really, was I supposed to be flattered by "You should stay in my hotel room with me.  I have a spare bed and you'll be closer to work in the morning"???? 

Yes, for really.  I'm not creative enough to make that shit up.  Absolutely not that kind of heat.

I need heat.  The Spanish just won the World Cup in soccer.  That's hot.  Ohhhhhlllllaaaaaa Iker. 

The Spanish are passionate, spicy people. Robust. Full of life.  Hot.

Once upon a time when I used to work in long term care with a group of loco ladies, they would bring Pollo Chilindron to work when the weather was shite.  Pollo Chilindron seemed like a perfect recipe to try since I had chicken and tomatoes, and peppers that were an hour away from being compost. However, the recipe I had was less than perfect. I did not realize this until I was in the final simmering stage. It was boring and not at all Spanish. The chicken had no fire, no passion. It was like Salma Hayak, but without the heaving, voluptuous breasts and her ability to climb humans when there are snakes nearby. It was like Charo sans “cuchi cuchi”. It was Enrique Iglesias without the, well, everything.


Everything added after the two hour mark is all me, but with much respect to the loco ladies and Enrique.  Mmmmm I do likes me some Enrique!


POLLO CHILINDRON



Makes seven one cup portions.

Ingredients:

Usually this recipe is made with chicken legs, thighs, and drumsticks but I was too lazy to walk to the store on a tight schedule and had chicken breasts available at home.


4 chicken breasts (about 300 - 400 g)
2 - 3 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
8 kalamata olives, pitted and diced
2 slices prosciutto, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 c. white wine
1 tbsp. fresh tarragon
1 - 28 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
4 bay whole leaves
salt and pepper, to season
1 can tomato paste
1 baguette

Method:
-season the chicken with salt and pepper
-heat the oil in a large pot (preferably a dutch oven) over medium heat
-add the pieces carefully and cook until both sides are browned
-remove the chicken from the pot and set aside
-add the onions and peppers to the pot
-lightly salt the vegetables to draw the moisture out of the vegetables and to prevent them from scorching
-saute the vegetables until the peppers are wilted and the onions are translucent
-add the ham, garlic, and olives and saute for another 2 minutes
-pour in the wine and simmer to reduce the liquid by at least half
-while the mixture is reducing, cut the chicken into bit sized pieces
-stir in the tomatoes and tarragon
-return the chicken pieces to the pot, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally (about every 15 minutes)
-add water if the mixture becomes too dry
 
 
 
 
-after two hours add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper
-gently stir in 4 bay leaves
-simmer for another 30 minutes and then add tomato paste
-simmer for an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour
-remove bay leaves serve with crusty bread (can also be served over rice or pasta)

Nutritional information (click to view full size):



Inspired by a recipe found on whats4eats.com and those loco latinas I used to work with.